ABUJA — EXACTLY 18 days after deadly bomb blasts at Nyanya bus terminal in Abuja killed 75 people and injured 200 others, Nigerians were thrown into mourning, yesterday evening, with another blast, which at press time had claimed at least 17 lives and scores more injured.
Yesterday’s attack took place at Wazobia Park, Nyanya, opposite where the last attacks occured.
As at 9:05 pm, 17 corpses were counted at the Emergency Ward of the Asokoro Hospital, while the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, ambulances were still rushing to ferry in more of the dead and the wounded.
One eyewitness said he saw 20 bodies at the scene.
The bombers, whose identities were yet to be unmasked, struck at the same transit point they attacked exactly 18 days ago.
No group has claimed responsibility for yesterday’s attack.
At Asokoro General Hospital, 16 dead bodies were on the ground. Many people, families and friends were in the hospital while many were outside because the hospital gates were shut against the crowd coming into the hospital. Many people were seen wailing and making phone calls.
The blasts occurred as workers and residents who went for the May Day celebration were returning to their bases. Initial reports said a number of people have been killed and many more have been injured.
Eyewitnesses said it was caused by a car bomb. The Islamist militant group Boko Haram had previously staged attacks in Abuja. Most of Boko Haram attacks had been in the North-East geo-political zone especially in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states. The April 14 bombing raised fears that the militants could be trying to expand their area of operation.